BlogLovin Follow

Follow

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Life can be scary

So this past week has been one for the books. Being 37 weeks pregnant and full of emotions isn't the time for your sister (who is your best friend) to be in the hospital. My older sister, Bonnie, has been having a year full of health issues that no doctor has been able to get to the bottom of. It's been stressful, worrying, frustrating, and so many more emotions. It felt like every doctor was stumped by her symptoms and we were at a dead end with no plan. On Friday night she flew up to Ohio with her family to visit her in-laws for the weekend. I woke up on Saturday morning to two texts from her telling my mom and I that she was coughing up blood and Brett rushed her to the ER. She then was transferred to a different hospital to be treated. Not what you want to wake up to and cue panic attack for me. 

I finally got in touch with my mom to get what was going on. They first thought she had pneumonia but when they tested her blood it came back negative (along with the hundreds of other tests she's had over the past year). They did a bronchoscopy to take some sample of the blood and fluid in her lungs and moved her to ICU. Saturday was full of unknown which was really scary. The doctors having heard her medical history were confused as well but they were determined to figure out what the problem was. She was getting test after test after test and we still didn't know much on Saturday. 

Sunday morning she was told that she was going to need to get a port in her neck to receive some plasma transfusion treatments. This is when she decided she needed my Mom to fly up there because there was no decisions being made and no timeline as to how long she would be in hospital. She got her first transfusion on Sunday and my mom got in around 1:30am to stay the night with her. 

Monday we finally started to hear some news but it started as a rough morning because Bonnie was told that she would need plasma transfusions once a day through Friday. Not a great feeling. I was at work and got myself in a state because being as far along as I am in my pregnancy all I could think about was how devastated I would be if I went into labor while they were in Ohio. 

Yesterday we got some more news along the lines of a diagnosis and even more today. The doctors up there have been in contact with her rheumatologist down here and they are in agreement as to what she has. She has been diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder called vasculitis. There is a treatment plan they are going to follow that will continue when she gets home. She has a long road ahead of her but I'm just so thankful they were able to figure out what was going on with her. 

The only thing I can say at this point is there was a reason she was in Ohio and not here when all of this happened. Being hospitalized is no fun for anyone but it lead to a diagnosis because all the specialities were in the same place. She has gotten a bit better each day and is on the up and up thank goodness. Thank you for all the prayers, texts, and concern for Bonnie over the past week. It's been a rollercoaster for my family and as much as we wish she was here and we could visit her I know she is in good hands in Columbus and will be home soon. I miss her and she misses Collier more than anything. Collier has been getting lots of quality time with his grandparents in Ohio which I know they have enjoyed and it comforts my sister knowing he is well taken care of and he has no idea what is going on. I'm ready for my mom and sister to be in Georgia so we can wish for Emma to make her arrival. Right now I need her to stay PUT! 





It may have been a long road to this point and will be an even longer road to remission but she WILL be healed. God has a plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment